Friday, April 29, 2016

Black Bean & Veggie Salad with Avocado



Oh my gosh...I found an absolutely amazing recipe HERE and with a little tweaking I am in LOVE, so I had to share!  I am always looking for ways to incorporate veggies into my diet because, let's be honest, veggies are NOT my thing.  This was delicious, healthy, easy and perfect to pair with the grilled tilapia we had for dinner.  It would be awesome with just about anything though; chicken, steak, fish, some whole wheat chips or just alone!



Ingredients:

  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 ear of fresh cooked corn, kernels cut off the cob
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 TBSP minced shallots
  • 1 tsp salt {or a dash of Himalayan salt}
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 TBSP sugar {or substitute some organic Blue Agave into the dressing}
  • 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp lime zest
  • 3 TBSP lime juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 avocado

Directions:


Combine the black beans, corn, red bell pepper, garlic, cilantro and shallots in a bowl.


Mix well.  In a small bowl combine the spices and zest, and in a separate bowl combine the lime juice, EVOO {and Agave if you are substituting for sugar}.



Mix the dry spices into the black bean mixture and the add the dressing and toss.  Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.  {This is a great time to prep whatever you're eating this with!}  You can even refrigerate overnight...the leftovers were AMAZING for lunch!

When ready to eat, cut up the avocado into small chunks and lightly mix in to the salad and serve at room temp!

This recipe served 4...dinner for my hubby and I and a great lunch the next day!  This may be our new BBQ staple to bring to parties too!!  Enjoy, and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment