Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sugar-Free Caramelized Apples


I am by no means a cook. I don't generally enjoy being in the kitchen, and I'm lucky enough that my husband loves cooking, baking and bbq-ing so I don't have to!  With that being said, you can bet that when I do try my hand at something, it's EASY!!  And that is exactly what this recipe is!

Kodiak cakes are a staple in our weekend breakfast routine.  They are packed full of protein and 100% whole grains, and when I look at the ingredients list I can actually pronounce it all {always a good sign!}  After having pancakes over and over every week though, I need to switch it up!!  We had a TON of apples left over, so I decided to try my hand at a healthier version of caramelized apples and this turned out AMAZING!  

Quick, simple, healthy and my breakfast literally tasted like apple pie!  I've even done this same recipe and mixed it in with oatmeal...yum!



Ingredients:


- 1 apple per person {I used Granny Smith}

- coconut oil

- cinnamon

- pumpkin pie spice

OR, if you don't have pumpkin pie spice

- ground ginger

- nutmeg

- all spice

- ground cloves


Directions:

- Peel and cut apples, cubed or slices.
- Heat skillet on medium-high heat.  Add apples and top with coconut oil and let sit a few minutes until the apples are crispy and brown on the bottom.
- Flip apples and let get crispy and brown on the other side, a few minutes.
- Turn heat to medium-low and let apples caramelize.
- Add spices {to taste...I like more cinnamon!} and flip around to cover.  Cook both sides for a few more minutes.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment